Monday, May 2, 2011

What is Oo-Oui Vintage & Vouge?

Oo-Oui Vintage & Vogue is the joint collaboration of myself (Allison Schneider), and my lovely and talented sister Kellie Schneider. This definitely wasn't something that happened overnight.  For some time, I have dreamt of opening a shop that sells vintage / secondhand clothing, but felt that I wanted to add my own personal touch. That's where the idea of reconstructing and improving clothing came into play, which ultimately made this whole thing take off!

Since I can remember, I have been very interested in fashion. As a child, my sister and I designed elaborate costumes using anything we could get our hands on: torn fabric remnants, pillowcases, you name it. As for my interest in thrifting -- well, I can thank my sister for that.

Kellie has always been a bit of a free spirit, especially when it comes to her clothing choices! She would skip around town in a paint soaked tank top, two floor length floral skirts layered on top of one another and a sash tied around her waist. I remember thinking to myself, "what is she wearing?" But it never failed that within a year or two, whatever my sister was wearing would somehow become what was in style. To this day, I remember the first time I tied a sash around my waist. I just couldn't believe that my sister's gypsy look was actually something that I was trying to mimic. One of the most important things I have learned from my sister is that style has nothing to do with the name on the tag of the garment, and everything to do with how you feel in it.

Since then, I have become a vintage / secondhand enthusiast. The concept for Oo-Oui Vintage & Vogue came to me one day when I stumbled upon a beautiful vintage red dress. This dress was so incredibly unique and vibrant that I just had to have it! The only problem was that it was a bit too long, and at the time it wasn't exactly my style. Then it dawned on me! I shouldn't just buy and sell secondhand clothes, but also alter them to make them more wearable today!  Now, after years of dreaming about it, Oo-Oui Vintage & Vouge is finally becoming a reality. Our online shop opens May 15th!

No comments:

Post a Comment