Saturday, April 16, 2011

Movie night

Lately, since receiving Netflix, I have been watching a lot of movies. I am really into watching romantic comedies, serious romance and dramas in particular. So I guess what I am trying to say is that I really like "chick flicks!" (hah) But a few that have really stood out in my mind that I would absolutely recommend watching are as follows..

Never Let Me Go- Is an absolutely gorgeous movie (and soundtrack) about a group of cloned children and their difficult journey into adulthood. They come to the sad realization that they have no real place in this world because the only reason they were "created" was to be harvested for organs. Though just like you and me they have dreams, aspirations and fall in love, their lives will eventually be cut short in order to save the life of another. Such an amazing movie.


The Stoning of Soraya M.- I cant think of another movie that has made me cry this much. Maybe its because I am a mother and this poor woman (Soraya) has her own children turned against her and forced to witness her own gruesome death. The movie (based on a true story) is about an abusive husband who wants to divorce his wife and take their two boys with him so that he can marry a younger woman. If she allowed it to happen her and her two daughters would be left with nothing and most likely starve to death. He falsely accuses her of adultery which needless to say, is a crime that's punishment is death by stoning. This movie makes you feel incredibly grateful that we live in a culture where both sexes are equal.


Little Children- This movie leaves me somewhat speechless. There are two consecutive stories taking place- one of a married mother who is very unhappy in her marriage and actually in her role as as a mother who finds escape in the company of stay at home father who is feeling the stress of not being the sole provider for his family. Second is about a man, who is mentally only about 10 years old, and his struggle with inappropriate sexual urges. I know it sounds incredibly depressing, and it is, but when I was done watching it I actually felt sorry for all of them despite their horrible indiscretions. There was one scene in particular where the "pedophile" goes for a swim at the local pool that I cannot stop thinking about to this day! Watch it and tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment